January 21, 2020 Edit
- JW: paper about FHI1 (OVAC2 ortholog) and its role in yeast apoptosis: summarize the paper and link with the course material (basically explain intrinsic and extrinsic apoptosis + what position the FHI1 would have in these pathways)
- VDB: How would you perform a GPCR/7TM receptor binding assay? explain individual practical steps. Compare this with one example of a functional assay for a GPCR and explain the advantages of both.
- HM: Explain the structural properties of the EF hand and the C2 Ca binding domain and how these interact with Ca. give some examples of molecules that have these structures and how they transduce signals.
January 22, 2019 Edit
JW: paper about metacapsases
JVB: How to perform a ligand binding assay, a functional receptor assay, examples and what are the advantages of each?
HM: Explain SOCE and how Stim1 is involved
January 2018 Edit
JW: explain the molecular mechanisms of red / green color blindness. Explain why color blindness is more common in males than females. HM: Discuss ROS as signaling molecules
JANUARY 18, 2018 Edit
JW: paper about apoptosis and Bax proteins
JVB: bioamines and their synthesis, secretion, work or action and one example
HM: how does RTKs transduce a signal, give example or downstream signaling or RTKs
17 JAN 2018 Edit
JVB: paper Venus Tyrosine Kinase
JW: Schematic representation of intrinsic and extrinsic pathway + explaining what the most important components are and what they do. Briefly explain the difference between apoptosis, necrosis and necropsy.
HM: explain store operated CA entry. How is this regulated by PKC?
27 JAN 2017 Edit
JVDB: paper on GPCRs
JW: Bcl2 family: which proteins, why all of the same family, in which signal transduction pathways + other proteins in this signal transduction also explain.
HM: ROS: where and how formed + what does it do with proteins?
19 JAN 2017 Edit
JVDB: paper: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24395463 "Divergent and convergent roles for insulin-like peptides in the worm, fly and mammalian nervous systems". Give a summary: give goal of the study, etc. Any questions were difficult and not course related, such as 'how can you investigate 40 different ILPs' ... (transgenesis, ...) And if that is not phenotypically distinguishable?
JW: AC, structure, regulation, function and role in signaling. Also give a detailed (example, eg in long term memory, or olfactory sensing)
HM: Discuss kinases (structure, operation, classes). Discuss PKA in detail in both active and inactive state.
18 JAN 2017 Edit
Winderickx: Article related to BH3 proteins related to apoptosis and autophagy. Present schematically the intrinsic and extraneous pathway of apoptosis and relate it.
Hideaki: Explain how in a cell the low concentration of calcium can be retained in the cytosol and how this changes if there are stimuli.
Vandenbroeck: Give 3 components derived from lipids, explain the regulation and relate to signal transduction.
30 AUG 2016 VM Edit
W: article about BH3 proteins in protozoa. Briefly summarize this paper and compare with what you know from the course. Also show schematically the intrinsic and extrinsic pathway during this comparison.
HM: Discuss the IP3, Ca2 + mediated pathway. Also discuss the mechanism for supplementing the Ca2 + store.
JVB: How would you do a ligand binding assay for 7TM / GPCR. Also give functional assays and their pros and cons.
14 JAN 2016 NM Edit
W: extrinsic and intrinsic pathways or apoptosis
HM: 3 Explain NO synthesis pathways + discuss the mechanisms behind blood circulation
JVB: paper about LGR4
14 JAN 2015 Edit
W: extrinsic and intrinsic pathways or apoptosis
HM: ROS signaling
JVB: paper on insulin and GLUT4
28 Jan 2013 nm Edit
W: miRNA, RGS, forskolin, ripoptosome, IAP
Q: Discuss three components of the insulin growth factor pathway
L: article on histidine phosphorylation
28 Jan 2011 nm Edit
1. Winderickx: Apoptosis is important in development and differentiation. Explain. And give the intrinsic and extrinsic pathway schematically.
2. Robben: Article about tyrosine phosphatases.
3. Vandenbroeck: Explain why adapter proteins are important in receptor tyrosine kinases. Give 3 examples and a bed-fusion.
20 Jan 2011 nm Edit
- article by Vandenbroeck: insulin and Glut4 transporter
- Robben: discussing functions of ligand dependent calcium channels
- Winderickx: GAP, GEF, GoLoco, RGS and AKAP and their role in signal transduction
20 Jan 2011 vm Edit
- Vandenbroeck: Article about gonadotropic receptors
- Robben: MAPKs, organization, regulation, upstream and downstream events
- Winderickx: regulation of adenylate cyclase
10 Sep 2010 Edit
- article by Winderickx: Yeast apoptosis - From genes to pathways
- Robben: MAPKs: organization, regulation, upstream and downstream events
- Vandenbroeck: Discuss 3 components of the conserved insulin / IGF signal transduction pathway (their molecular properties and related functions)
Jan 14, 2010 Edit
- article by Vandenbroeck
- seals: NO synthase and functioning thereof
- RGS, caspases (intrinsic and extrinsic), GoLoco
Jan 14, 2010 Edit
- article of seals,
- vandenbroek: experiments to investigate receptors (reporter gene, aequorin, scintillation, ...)
- Jorix: regulation of cAMP
28 Jan 2009 Edit
- MDL: Article NAADP
- JW: make a comparison between apoptosis and necrosis and schematically shows the intrinsic and extrinsic pathway
- JVdB: Discuss 3 components from the insulin signaling. (I had Insulin, Insulin receptor and IRS-1 and da was okay)
22 Jan 2009 Edit
- De Ley: NO and NO synthase (n)
- Winderickx: AKAP, Go Loco, RGS
- VDB: article gonadotropic receptor
29 Aug 2008 Edit
- Vandenbroeck: Article: Insulin signaling in growth control in D. Melanogaster (or something like that)
- Winderickx: Discuss the difference between necrosis and apoptosis. Briefly discuss the signaling pathways that are responsible for apoptosis.
- Deley: Discuss the difference between Ser / Thr kinases and Tyr kinases.
24 Jan 2008 Edit
- MDL: ROS
- JWX: color blindness, mole. mechanism
- VDB: article p450 and halloween genes and then some extras.
23 Jan 2008 Edit
- de ley: his phosphorylation
- vandenbroeck: discuss 3 components of insulin pathway
- winderickx: article apoptosis bring in connection with the course
15 Jan 2008 Edit
the ley: calcium: gradients, waves and osscillations Edit
- winderinkx: discuss apoptosis versus necrosis and give intrinsic and extrinsic pathway
- vanden broeck: article about boss / sevenless pathway in R7 development at drosophila
15 Jan 2008Edit
- De Ley: article about phosphohistidines
- Winderickx: Regulation of G-proteins, plus function of RGS and GoLoco. Give different classes of G-proteins plus their effector and second messengers.
- Vanden Broeck: Give 3 functional assays to examine G-proteins.
- Additional questions: Explain:
- Prohormone Convertase